There Was Nothing There

I know there's a boundary there,
Where I'm placed, I'm exactly aware.
There is to be no crossing here.
The other side has made it clear.

I look back when I'm walking away,
Just in hope, that the line would sway.
It's only become more well-defined,
On this, only one thing comes to mind.

So now it's time today
To leave everything behind,
Because that was yesterday.

Memories seem to be short
As time and age erode this fort.
My arms could be held open wide,
Yet still, I would not find my way inside.

Maybe I did miss that chance,
Distracted and I just didn't glance.
Or maybe the simple truth is
There was ultimately nothing to this

So now it's time today
To leave everything behind,
Because that was yesterday.

Strangely I just hung around,
Wishing for that spark to be found.
I know that I'll never be a fit,
So on the outside, I will sit.

There is a long way ahead,
There's only one way that I can tread.
It will be rather slow,
But I know it's where I must go

Because it's time today
To leave everything behind
For it was yesterday.

Closing the book is tough.
Putting out the flame is rough.
I realize there was nothing to be had
But I'm not mad. I'm not even sad.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time

Simple Man